Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Feb 8 - Doing Idyllwild's Lily Rock, in Stages, Part I

The gallery in Idyllwild sold one of my desert paintings and requested a replacement of a local landmark - Lily Rock, or sometimes called Taquitz Rock.  It is a favorite climbing rock and many dots of humanity are seen on its almost sheer face on any summer weekend.

I've painted it before, en plein air during one of their open air competitions, and worked one summer as a camp nature counselor there, so I know this rock and love this little mountain town.  This view is up North Circle Drive, from downtown.  My gallery is actually on the right side in the trees!

The canvas is 16 x 20 and was toned with an acrylic glaze of yellow ochre and cadmium red and yellow.  I like the warm contrasting against the cools, and have found that this helps me balance the end result as I cover up more and more of the warm with the cools.  I'm using oils on this one.  Yummy!

And I'm getting ready for the week long paint out put on by the Plein Air Artists of Riverside, which is always fun and so well done by PAAR volunteers. This year the theme is water--and we sure haven't had any rain since the deluge in January.

On other news, I entered the Art Show at the Dog Show with some different art.  I'll be showing you how the "Calicobermans" came into existence once this oil is finished.  It was accepted into the ASADS along with another oil that's coming along the blog down the road a piece.  Life is good!!

The newest DVD on the Color System is HERE
You can see my entire blog HERE.
My workshop schedule for 2011 is HERE.
Color System information can be found HERE.
If you need to email me directly, please click here.

No comments: