Monday, July 16, 2007

July 16 - The Three Dog Commission/Lesson commences

Here's the first pass on the 38 x 50 inch oil on linen commission of three dogs, lab and golden retrievers, that shows the owners the placement and basic overall high key color scheme that is coming into play. As I don't begin with my focal points, but paint TO them, subordinating the colors and edges as I paint to the crescendo of the three dogs' faces. (Dogs have faces... no argument there!). Richard Schmid constantly maintains that the focal point be the highest contrast and the sharpest edge, and there is tremendous validity in that phrase.

Hmmm, I just noticed that I mis-sent a couple of posts, the 14th with my studio pics went out after the 15th's desert revision. Must be senior moments, eh? Well, they are in order on the blog in any event, and in the scheme of things it is small potatoes.


You can see the entire blog here.

If you need to email me directly, please click here.

No comments: