Friday, March 25, 2011

Mar 25 - Another One Gets Worked Over

Workshop!!
The American Academy of Equine Art is collaborating with me at my studio to teach a five-day workshop on horses in landscape (using the Color System). It's scheduled for April 11-15 and the weather will be just perfect for it! Here in Riverside, we have Raindance for a model (which she loves!).

I'm scheduling drawing sessions with my neighbor's Arabs, taking those images or the student's own reference photographs and working them up with the Color System to create wonderful equine paintings.
 
A portion of your workshop fee is a donation to the tax deductible AAEA, too!

Original "Problem Child"
12 x 16 Oil on Panel
 
 
Yesterday's painting is sold.
March 25 - Another Re-do of an Oldie
Changing the time of day....  When I picked up this "oldie-but-not-quite-Goodie" off the shelf, I knew I was going to make some dramatic color changes to teach my workshop students about time of day.
 
The original painting was done on location at the Sants Rosa Preserve in Murrieta, California. It was done with that limited colors I mentioned yesterday, and I'll share them with you: Ultramarine Blue, Cadmium Red Medium, Cadmium Yellow Light, Pthalo Green and Burnt Umber. A great palette for a lot of plein air painters, even though limited. I've come to dislike the limited options it brings, and have expanded it to the twelve of the Color System which suits me.
 
This painting is now full of morning light, and yet appears more yellow than I would like--the photograph doesn't do it justice.
 
Workshop information is HERE.
Please forward this on to your friends, and thank you! 
 
And on Other News....
No pictures of the big garden--it's raining again and so I hiked around the valley with Vince and the sheep instead. I love being outdoors even in the rain, so I guess I don't have any sense, eh? My Mom used to say I didn't have either the "sense God gave a goat" (Vince would disagree) or "not enough sense to come in out of the rain". I just smile.....
 
Thanks for reading,
Elin

No comments: