Monday, December 21, 2009

Dec 21 - Acrylic Snow Scene, Second View

I've covered the canvas, which all you seasoned followers recognize as a characteristic of how I work. Turns out I don't even need that cool red in this one, since the coloration is lending itself to the palette of colors I brought along (see yesterday's post for those). Still have a lot of loose brushwork, and will tighten it down on the next "go round".

Today I took the train into New York City to the Museum of Modern Art, and saw many of the original paintings and sculptures that are in the text of the online Art Appreciation courses I teach. I learned a lot while there, mostly that Chagall's "I and the Village" is a LOT larger than I imagined! I'm not smiling because the guard just came up and told me to move--I was too close!

And I saw Van Gogh's "Starry Night" and was astonished to see raw canvas showing in it--and here I thought he used tons of paint....The image below shows the left side and part of the framing. Can we forgive our own mistakes when we see the masters of art history doing the same? I think so.

I've attached both images to this posting because I think you'll enjoy the visuals.

Tomorrow I hope to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, although I may take a day off and enjoy the local sights here. Who knows? This is a fun trip and I'm enjoying myself immensely.


You can see my entire blog HERE.
My workshop schedule for 2010 is HERE.
Color System information can be found HERE.
If you need to email me directly, please click here.

No comments: