Saturday, October 17, 2009

Oct 17 - The New DVD's First Painting - In Process

I have been working on the first painting for the newest DVD, and it is really fun! The canvas is an 18 x 24 inch panel, and is being done in oils. I'm focusing on how to compose a painting, how to paint using the Color System, and in this case, how to specifically create a misty light situation across distance in a landscape.

At this stage, I usually call it "being in the Uglies", but even now, you can easily see the harmonious colors and related shapes, although the edges and details are long ahead and yet to be found. I've done about 40 minutes of filming at this phase, and will be editing for content and quality when I go into the "cave" to work on the master movie files.

However, for this DVD I'm actually doing the editing as I shoot each sequence, which seems to keep me more focused on what I need to convey to you, the watcher. Below is the painting at an earlier stage, showing how I cover the canvas. Of course, the vocal commentary while I paint is continuous. And yup. There are definitely outtakes--such as when the canvas fell off the easel!

So, come with me on the journey as I complete this painting and the next one for this new adventure! I am quite sure that the second painting will be done in acrylics, so both media will be well represented. And the Color System crosses all media, so that's not going to be an issue, is it?

You can see my entire blog HERE.
My workshop schedule for 2009 is HERE.
Color System information can be found HERE.
If you need to email me directly, please click here.

No comments: