Thursday, April 09, 2009

Apr 11 - Workshop Demonstration in stages

In doing these Color Boot Camps, I need to demonstrate times of day for the attendees. Here's the first step of the acrylic for backlight, and I'll present it here in stages, so you can enjoy the process as well as the finished demo. This is a 9 x 12 surface (under the workshop lights some glare upper right).

I start by saying how important values are for backlit subjects. So in putting a large dark area down and covering the canvas this much at the get-go, I've "darkened the stage" for the drama that is to come. It's a mix of thalo green and burnt umber. Those swirly marks are my "designing mind" planting the location of the focal points that are to come. More on this one tomorrow.

Here's another image from the April workshop, this one done by Christine F., who was absolutely pleased that the Color System created this 18x24 oil canvas without modifying her painting style or subject choice! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did seeing it unfold so quickly to this point in just one afternoon. It validates my faith in the Color System to help artists change their work for the better. I'd like to also quote a recent "CBC" attendee who posted this email to the ColorSystem group on Yahoo Groups:

I finally did it! After lurking in the shadows of this list, reading all the posts while drooling with envy, I WENT TO BOOT CAMP!!! And am I GLAD I did. It was way more valuable than I could ever have imagined. I learned, and learned and then learned some more. Elin is a fantastic teacher with an abundance of enthusiasm, knowledge and generosity. I enjoyed every moment...I suggest strongly that you get yourself to Boot Camp. And if you can't get there quickly, at least start by studying the color flash cards. Your life as an artist, and your paintings will never be the same! Thanks, Elin, FOR EVERYTHING.

Congratulations to new Collector Donna Matson from Los Angeles/Palm Desert on her purchase of my painting "Solitude" from the PAAR Whitewater Preserve Show. See the painting here (new window).

You can see my entire blog HERE.

My workshop schedule for 2009 is HERE. (Spaces only in the Maine-in-September workshop now.)

Color System information can be found HERE.

If you need to email me directly, please click here.

No comments: