Friday, January 09, 2009

Jan 9 - Doberman Angel in Process - 18x18 Acrylic

The Doberman "Guardian" with the canvas almost 80% covered with the major colors and values that will be there--except for the larger light that I'll put in later. I really like it at this stage, as I can see that I'm keeping the spirit and strength of the dog as I define and edit the large masses. What needs editing is the feeling of danger--even though the dog has wings and is in the role of protector, right now the feedback I get is one of doubt whether the dog means good or evil. That will change as it is developed.

At this point the canvas is COMPLETLY in the cool box--no warms at all except for the underpainting of Quin Burnt Orange and Cadmium Orange. Fun colors to start with, as it really sets off the cools!

Tomorrow the Plein Air Painters of Riverside (PAAR) are coming over for on-location painting at Two Trees and will stay for pot luck and a movie. We're going to be watching "Impressionists - Degas" in the theater. Of course, I'll take pictures of it!

Shadow arrived yesterday, and was immediately adopted by Alberto, who just fell in love when he saw the pup. I was ever so grateful that he took him into our casita last night, as Shadow didn't have to be in the outdoor kennel--right under our bedroom. Yip, yip, howl! After he gets used to the place...

He's settling in today as you can see, parked right next to Seiko, our older Tibetan Mastiff.
You can see my entire blog here.



Color System information can be found HERE.
If you need to email me directly, please click here.

1 comment:

Lovethiscottage.blogspot.com said...

Im watching the progress of this with great interest.I seem to be much more dependent on my original pencil drawing, which gets lost quickly with acrylics. I must be stuck in my watercolor rut...
What an adorable puppy. he must get hugged a lot!