Saturday, July 22, 2006

July 22 - Plein Air Again


"Remnants of the Storm" Tonight was the gallery opening of "Au Naturel", the group show of the Plein Air Artists of Riverside (PAAR), from 6 to 9 pm.  Showing about 50 pieces, it was diverse and yet a collection of very good plein air work.  It was HOT, however, I mean the temperature.  Today it ranged from 108 to 112 in our area with 38-45% humidity, and rotund thunderstorms marched across the skies, thwacking lightning and big winds around like an upset, overweight shopper.
  We dodged one storm on our way in, but ran smack dab through another one to get to the show.  I brought my oils, in my smaller plein air setup, and braved the storm and heat by sitting outside to do a couple little 7 x 5 canvases.  The air was fresh, and although it felt like "breathing soup" (love that line), I managed to do two paintings before the light left.  Today's is the first, showing the clouds and the changing sky as the sun approached the horizon.  Those of you familiar with my color system will know exactly where each color went, and why.  But I broke one rule, and you might see it in the darker values of the clouds.  
  Sold to new collector Charlotte McDavid of Birmingham, Alabama.

No comments: