Monday, July 17, 2006

July 17 - Downtown Idyllwild

Today's painting is another acrylic.  I really need to switch the taboret around and get back to oils, but oh! I do love the acrylics, too!  This is a little 5 x 7 view down the main street of the mountain community of Idyllwild, looking toward the landmark Lily Rock, same one I painted in different light a few days ago.  I have done this scene on location in a larger format, and it was fun to revisit it with only a rather poor photo I took at the time.  When you have lousy source material, it really takes you to task to produce something more from your core.  I heard a quote today on National Public Radio that sort of fits:  "Sometimes you just have to take the leap and create the wings on your way down."  Doesn't that clearly describe what painting can be?  It doesn't work for tax records, but it can be a lot of fun when you just KNOW you've flown before, to pick up those brushes without a hint of wings, and be soaring by the time the painting is finished.
SOLD to new collectors Bert and Peg Hall of Roseville, California.


No comments: