Thursday, May 04, 2006

May 4 - Jesus and the Place of Peace


"In the Place of Peace" I have done many plein air paintings, and many have been favorites. I still have this one, which hasn't been on display or on the web site for a year or more. Since I spent most of today working on the design of the back cover for Horses in Art's summer issue, I thought you might enjoy a "resurrection" (so to speak!) of an earlier painting. I loved it when I painted it, and I still love it today, most especially for the brushwork and the different values of gray on the statue of Jesus. But unless it speaks to you, it will remain in my personal collection. Original oil on canvas glued to birch backboard, 16 x 12 inches. It was done on location at the Pala Mission, south of Temecula and east of Fallbrook. One of the string of California missions from San Diego northwards. Great place to paint. $300

No comments: