Monday, May 01, 2006

May 1 - Buffalo Sunset


"Buffalo Sunset"  I so enjoy painting sunsets and sunrises.  They signify the change of mode from action to rest, and from rest to action--a totally normal part of daily living.  The clarity of the change of pace is such a pleasure to depict on canvas.  This one is 8 x 10 original, in oils.
  I need the rest right now, for I don't mind sharing with you that grief for my mother's passing hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday and today.  I have been crying off and on all day, and finding memories and sadness at every moment, every turn in the house, and even in such mundane chores as laundry.  I thought I'd dodged that grief bullet, since I'd been so "normal" for the past three weeks.  Tain't so.  I've been told that this would happen, just didn't think it would.  But optimist that I am, I know this will pass as well.  
  So the sunset and the buffalo truly represent the passing of time, and I paint them with bittersweet joy.  It feels so good to be back in my home studio, surrounded by my "friends" -- the other paintings I have done.  I take great comfort from them.
SOLD

No comments: