Tuesday, May 16, 2006

May 16 - My New Horse


I painted a large commission a half dozen years ago (you can see it on the commissions page at elinart.com) of six horses that belonged to a lady who was moving to Washington state. I traded that work for one of her young Foxtrotter colts. I later sold that colt as an almost two year old to a nice gal in Riverside.
Today I go to a trainers to look at a horse to buy, which didn't work out (too young, too tall). The trainer's wife mentions a horse that her mother has that might come up for sale in August. We go see her, I ride her, and am swept away by everything about her. After our ride, she looks at me and says, "I know you." Turns out that this gal is the one I sold the colt to, and this horse of her mother's is one of the six in the painting. The colt now belongs to her best friend, who also wanted to buy the mare.
Here's a quick study of the mare I'm buying, from one of the reference photos for the painting from so many years ago. Amazing that this horse is going to come into my life in living form.
Original oil, 9 x 12 inches.

No comments: