Friday, January 01, 2010

Jan 1 - Happy 2010, the Acrylic is Finished...

The 12 x 9 acrylic of the Saddle River is finished now, and the changes from the non-detailed image from yesterday's blog are really noticeable. The calligraphic lines and patches of slightly different value are the added ingredients to take this painting to this stage. I added the shrubbery branches and leaves on the lower left as the last element of the design, which brings the painting into balance.

In looking at the painting I find that the brushwork (textural marks) and complementary color change are the strongest design elements holding this one together. I find it good to be able to analyze my work using design principles--and if the work is good, several will be easily noted. Do you know your design elements and principles? There are good sources online to review them. This link is Wikipedia's, and although the terminology my shift from source to source, the concepts are valid for every artist.

Now off into a new year, full of possibilities and opportunities! Happy New Year to all of you!

You can see my entire blog HERE.
My workshop schedule for 2010 is HERE.
Color System information can be found HERE.
If you need to email me directly, please click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!