Tuesday, March 20, 2007

March 20 - Jake, Oil Commission in Process


I've started to add the color fields to the painting of the dog, creating some light and dark patches both on his body and also on the grasses behind and beneath him. At this stage, I don't worry too much about proportions--yes, I know his head is too big and his rear end is too small--because I'll make those changes as I progress. Earlier I wrote to another collector that my painting process is akin to sculpting in that I find the form and accuracy by removing and adding parts, reshaping the shapes that make up the animal. No careful preliminary drawing is part of my routine!
I think it gives the work I do more of a "hand made" look, which, along with the brushy brush work, pleases me greatly.
Complete blog here.

No comments: