Thursday, May 25, 2006

May 25 - Commission Piece with Eight People


I thought you'd like to see the painting from the plein air hike today. I met up with several local painters, and headed out to paint the commission for the two docents at the Santa Rosa Plateau. This is a commission that was raffled off last September to raise funds for the transportation of the third graders who visit the Plateau and learn about California's habitats and animals. This program changes children's lives. Thousands of kids hike the plateau on guided tours and receive lessons at the Visitor's Center. The bus transportation is provided with help from the Foundation, as districts are strapped for money, and there are always more third graders.
The hike in and out was four miles, and I pulled my golf cart easel over rocks and along narrow trails to get to this viewpoint. Well worth it, because I know you'll be able to get the "feel" for what this place means to me, and to the docents in looking at this vista. Now, the lower right section isn't finished yet, as they have asked me to add eight people (six grand children and themselves) in the lower right, and I am awaiting more information. And when I photographed this bigger piece on the easel, the left upper corner is deep in shadow (which isn't there). But this 15 x 30 canvas was a pure pleasure to paint in the afternoon light!

No comments: