Wednesday, April 05, 2006

April 5 - Mom, Resting


"Mom, Resting" What is it that makes a work of art MORE than just the subject or medium? We spend a lot of our lives honing our skills to be able to create our art. We do studies, we do practice paintings, we do classes, we work hard to make our marks. I am beginning to realize as I come to this level of painting, that creating nice paintings is well and good, showing technical excellence. But greatness comes from creating paintings that will stand the test of time, by marking such a specific moment, that universally anyone can relate to it.
I spent my day caring for my mom, and as you can expect, brought my brushes. I did this 8 x 10 oil while she was resting. When I look at it, I see so much more in the painting than it's just being a painting. I see technical certainty from miles of canvas, I see good design. But I also see a complete infusion of me, the artist, in the work. Along with that, I also see the reason for the work, the merit of the subject, and what I have been trying to do for many years--connect the work to the world at large and capture a specific moment of living--of life.
"Mom, Resting" is not for sale

No comments: