Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mar 10 - One from the Plein Air Event, Lesson in Oil!

On location with the Plein Air Artists of Riverside, and on Thursday I found myself in front of one of the many bridges that were the focus of this week-long paint out.

Now I don't necessarily "do" bridges or other architectural renderings--I leave it for the designers to create beautiful structures, and I'll just enjoy 'em, not paint 'em. But this event had us with a focus on local bridges, and who am I to complain? It's just "stuff"....

So I start out with a toned canvas (12 x 9) and set up just as you see, with the bridge to my left. This way I'm not twisted as I paint, with my arm on the canvas and my head torqued around over that arm. Learned that in life drawing years ago--don't let your painting arm block your view. Lot of artists don't know that!

I've loosely blocked in the structure and design, knowing that I'm adding a figure later on in the upper left third (smudgy mark). I had a heck of a time with those receding arches. Talk about tough to "get", but I leave some room for correction later. The day was overcast, and that's a bummer, but as an artist, I can do a bit of artistic license and add a spot of sunshine if I wish. (And I do wish.) So for the first several images as this one develops, I'm going to stay completely in the cool box!

My workshops in Georgia and Florida are generating a great deal of interest--the excitement about the new recruits and the re-booters for the Color System is felt all the way over here in California! My flights are booked, Sparky has his space, and I'll be doing the teaching for three weeks in April and May! If you've ever wanted the Color Boot Camp experience, please click below for workshop information for your area! Either Kathie or Judi will be happy to add you to the fun groups forming. I especially love it when "rebooters" come back for more "Yellin' by Elin".

On another note, I want to thank all of you who wrote in response to yesterday's posting on Qso's passing. So many of you have the hearts of animal lovers. It brought me great comfort. Although there's a hole in my heart, I know that not too much time will pass before another snuggly fur-face will come to fill it. Sparky might need a playmate!

My workshop schedule for 2010 is HERE.
Color System information can be found HERE.
If you need to email me directly, please click here.

No comments: