Sunday, May 27, 2007

May 27 - Book Cover, exploratory drawing

The bird has it by vote of the author. So I'm working out some of the issues with the trio of figures (bird, two boys) and the environment in which they will be (water, moonlight). And as I do this simple exploratory line drawing, I am mentally placing the large values in place, to convey the mystery and the interest and direction that cover art needs to generate to grab the reader. The design will be a large "S" curve, and backlit (my most favorite value situation--small light, large dark in mid-tones), yet still have the secondary lighting of the moonlight off the raging water on the breast of the bird and the two boys' faces. I can see that in my head, but simple line drawings don't do much to show you what is planned.

The bird will be reduced in size and given more importance by his color contrast rather than size. Darn it! Now I have to go to sleep, and I'd rather keep working on the planning!

However, I do have some back-logged commissions to tweak and get off the board before I leave for Kentucky this Friday.

You can see the entire blog here.

If you need to email me directly, please click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just want to THANK Elin for the WONDERFUL lessons I received in all 3 of her DVDs, and with the flash cards.
I am amazed at the knowledge she shared in a step-by-step manner, using her color system. If you are hesitant about ordering, don't be! It is well worth it.
Thanks Elin.